Benefits of Stem Cell Therapy for Spinal Injuries
By R3 Stem Cell Pakistan
The spinal cord consists of a tight-knit bundle of nerves and cells which transports signals from the brain to and fro the body. It extends from the base of the brain down through the lower back. Any serious damage to this Cord due to an accident or trauma is categorized as Spinal Cord Injury.
Depending on the severity of the damage the nerve fibers and cells can die. The damage generally results in sensory and functional impairment. The loss of sensation occurs below the level of injury. Patients suffering from spinal cord injury lose voluntary movement in their upper or lower limbs. Many individuals are bound to a wheelchair or worse ventilator-dependent.
These injuries can put an individual under devastating financial and psychological strain. Conventional treatments for spinal injuries like spasticity treatment, rehabilitation therapy, and spinal decompression are often opted by the patients yet total reversal of the paralysis is hard to achieve.
What is Stem Cell Treatment for Spinal Injury?
Stem Cell Therapy is a type of regenerative medicine that aids the body’s natural treating process. Rather than treating symptoms, it tries to treat damaged areas directly. A variety of other ailments previously thought untreatable can be treated by stem cell therapy.
Certain features of stem cells make them particularly useful in the treatment of nerve injury. These characteristics make stem cell therapy a promising treatment for neural issues like spinal cord injuries.
- Self-renewal; ability to multiply in number
- Totipotiency; capability of developing into different cells
- Adaptability to the immune system
– We are all born with a limited amount of nerve cells (neurons). Spinal cord injuries can cause nerve cells to die in severe cases. Introducing stem cells in such a situation can be helpful. The stem cell avoids all the negative responses from the immune system and creates a hospitable environment to prolong the life of neurons.
– They change according to the immune system. This phenomenon assures a hold on continual degeneration in the nerve cells and fibers. Some stem cells may mature into nerve cells. The rejuvenation of nerve cells improves sensation and movement.
– Stem cells use their adaptive abilities to influence the behavior of the rest of the cell. They replace the degenerative (neurotic) cells. Unlike other treatments, cell therapies target the problem in itself rather than treating just the symptoms.
– Along with immunomodulation, stem cells provide tissue fabrication and nutritional support for cells. Many white blood cells, cell bonding factors, and growth factors are produced by stem cells, all of which help to repair the injured area and promote tissue regeneration. Additionally, they secrete anti-inflammatory factors in the damaged area.
– Stem cells have a unique quality of multi-differentiating into specialized cells such as nerve, and tissue cells. No other cell in the body can turn into another. The ability of stem cells to treat the irreversible dysfunctions caused by spinal injuries has made their treatment remarkable.
– Research has found that the human body tries to treat itself after every kind of damage. Yet the regeneration process stops in Spinal Cord Injury. This is because the waste from myelin damage collects in the area of damage. When introduced to the patient, stem cells boost the white blood cells and engulf the debris. Enabling the repair process to take place naturally.
– Umbilical Cord Stem Cells can detect the place of damage and inflammation. Modified umbilical cord cells boost neural development, cell differentiation, expansion (multiplication), and white blood cell production.
– If the umbilical cord cells are administered within a week’s duration of spinal injury rapid results can be seen. Cord-derived stem cells help with motor function, especially in lower limbs, nerve fiber regeneration, better bladder and bowel function, urine control, and muscle tension.
– Stem Cells are very cost-effective when it comes to treating spinal injuries. In the long run, traditional treatments like ventilators can prove to be expensive.
– Stem Cell Therapy is non-invasive the cells are administered directly in the spinal cord. This helps stem cells to swiftly influence other cells by strengthening them, improving their functionality, and guiding their movement.